[yocto-ab] Minutes: YP Advisory Board

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Nov 8 11:16:55 PST 2012

[Sorry for the delay on these - Monday's minutes coming up shortly as well]

Attendees:
Sanil Kumar, Huawei
Jason Kridner, TI
Lieu Ta, Wind River
Dave Stewart, Intel
Steve Sakoman, Sakoman Inc.
Sean Hudson, Mentor Graphics
Tracey Erway, Intel
Philip Balister, OpenEmbedded
Joe Kidder, Enea
Richard Purdie, Linux Foundation

notes: Jeff Osier-Mixon

_____________________________
WebHob design work

found some money to spend on design for web gui interface to bitbake
contracted with tobias & tobias
public webhob, concerns about capacity
[slides]
danger of overpromise?
jk: timesys webfactory took 4hrs, local reuse objects faster
  so good to get started but not good for production
sh: ease of use is significant factor
  make usable, but not so usable that it becomes primary dev location
  transition should be easy
ds:
3 webhob versions considered:
  public
  shared in constrained group
  local
sh: ease transition internally to team deployment, & to command line
jk: team building tools primary usage mechanism
  people move from web playground to deeper interfaces is limited functionality
  hope to see a robust gui, avoid limiting people
sk: example for ramp & freeway - balance, start from goals
  focus on usability, performance, features
  proper long term direction for yocto in those areas
  strengthen customization
ds: thinking about first cycle through, emphasizing one area
sh: now with bitbake & project, have functional freeway
  dont have nice gui web frontend yet, but have fwy well established
  challenge is getting people involved
joe: getting people in more important than
ds: concerned leading up ramp and then dropping in hole, transition to fwy
  scaling up for workflow
  "anyone who would think successful without command line tools won't
be successful"
pb: assuming build images with boards - just supported boards by YP?
basis of binaries
  worried about getting into a support issue
ds: worried about uploading layers, random python scripts - possible
security issue?
rp: definite issue, not just taking packages and turning into images
ds: not independent UI, possibly connected to autobuilder
  personal webhob is frontend to bitbake
send comments to richard
j: eclipse?
ds: already supported, as system developer (syntax directed editor of
recipe files), build fires up hob
  also alternative fire up build appliance or webhob, use macos or
windows as eclipse
purpose - proxy issues, firewalls, major issue in many companies
sh: timeline for determinations?
ds: tobias 6 week effort done next week, will comeu pwit proposed
product def & roadmap
  contemplating extension allow them to play with specific design concepts
  and get more feedback
  designer should come to barcelona
*** meeting ***
  design task force, bof

_____________________________
New website

design phase done
contracted with superstar media for buildout, michael halstead AND
melissa helping as are belen & scottrif
have been some delays due to conferences and illness
delayed by about a week at this point, will still be available before barcelona
much content is there now, more over the next 2 days
will be looking for feedback after today
responsiveness may be slow until we migrate over to main server

joe screaming in awe
hard commitment elce

product examples section
  wrl5
  mel
  enea linux
  bsps
  products
  blimp?

  registration process -

  all demos should be yp compatible

AR>jefro:  flag when think good to pound on, finer granularity

_____________________________
Gumstix - compatible
  one way is project membership
  grant logo use? grant membership?
    steve helping with bsp

_____________________________
Preparing for Dev Day & ELCE
  & staffing the booth at ELCE
te: marketing
  complimentary booth spot
  video for center of back wall - workflow walkthrough, no sound
  announcement on back wall for compliance program, latest release, devday
  t-shirts for both elce and devday, including women's sizes
  oversubscribed to fill attrition spots
  vip list
  demos in elc: blimp, WR demo, hob demo, bring more
  idea of who will be at the booth
    pertinent speaking opportunities
  devday laid out & ready to go
  intel systems have reached barcelona, ti systems already shipped

  social events

  joe kidder - will stop by to get a shirt

  tracey can send shirts

AR>jefro: update devday site

_____________________________
Vote on Sidebranch (YP Participant)

unanimous yes

_____________________________
Finance update

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_Finances
last year approved 240
deficit coming in - if went low would cut accordingly
217 is expected this year - will be more when 2nd is finalized
new members coming in provide more funds
AR> lieu will have budget proposal in barcelona

_____________________________
Advocacy update

think about demos and other opportunties
AR>Jefro events
compatibliity prgoram - need program to get bsps labeled as compatible
  are all bsps on website considered yp compatible? not yet
  if not on website, process to make clear what compatible
AR> work on bsp/layer compatible clarity

End-of-year planning

teams are preparing for end-of-year planning, especially finance
full report in Barcelona

--
Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org