[yocto-ab] Minutes: Yocto Project Advisory Board, 27 November 2011, Face-to-face in Prague

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Nov 3 15:17:41 PDT 2011

[Please note the Action Item Summary at the end of this message and look
for your initials. AB indicates all Advisory Board members.]

Minutes: Yocto Project Advisory Board, 27 November 2011, 4pm-6pm CET
Face-to-face in Prague, CZ

Attendees:
  in person:
Tracey Erway
Bill Mills
Philip Balister
Sean Hudson
Dave Stewart
Nithya Ruff
Richard Purdie
Jeff Osier-Mixon

  on phone:
Lieu Ta
Paul Anderson
Brad Dixon
John Cherry
Mark Orvek
Agenda

Yocto Project 1.1
EGLIBC - Sean Hudson
Board Lab "Shoeleather" - Sean Hudson
ELCE Overview
Budget Overview - Lieu Ta
Budget Planning for 2012
Yocto Project 1.2 Planning

Proceedings

JO: 1.1 released, noted in press release & at Jim's keynote
press response very positive

____________________________________
EGLIBC

SH: project hosting history: codesourcery -> mentor -> yocto
LF has agreed to take over admin & hosting
to minimize intrustion: transfer of domains as is
current machines now being kept in place, domains transferred to LF
admin being taken care of
announcement already issued by LF
want to make sure this is a value add, won't impact community
open eglibc.org, already has branding for yocto
coming underneath yocto directly (not LF)
RP: svn to git?
SH: at some point, no objections, run through commuinty
RP: will eglibc community drive? we will want to poke to get action on it
JC: can push but still up to community

____________________________________
Board Lab "Shoeleather"

SH: live deployment of neutral board lab
BM: talking to David Rusling re board farm software lava
OSADL also has board lab & various support scripts

RP: variety of solutions, do we have resources; where is mentor going with
infrastructure?
SH: considered beta
only 4 boards right now, limited resources deployed
if we move fwd, may need to go internally to see how much we can do
looking to hardware manufacturers to provide boards
help with infrastructure
opportunity - boards to host? interested in trying it out?

SH: kick off next meeting of infra workgroup, RP wants to particip
BM: carlos hernandez into infrastucture group

DS:lava - test infrastruc as well as control infrastruc?
BM: appears to have both
BM: our infrastructure has central resource scheduler, nodes that register
with that, all open source
SH: yes, extremely useful to have clonable infrastuc, don't want to reinvent
RP: to work with one we need to agree as a group, put in resources
important to define role of test infrastruc
BM: if all we do is just give mentor our boards, not so interesting, but
giving others access is valuable
PB: end users will have limited number of boards needed, use without having
to rebuild will be great
now have own testing stuff, board farm not supercritical as opposed to
making metadata better
BM: who is audience, what type of testing focused on - just userspace app
testing, ltp?
in ours we test video quality, network performance, etc. what of those are
in scope?
third, some of our devs have critiques against our infrastruc; written by
pro test engrs for pro test engrs
added layers to make more accessible to engineers
but who is audience - devs or test plane engrs
SH: who & what offer, covers PB's questions also
what kind of test infra place around
most value found not in just auto test but extending to eventually indiv
devs
problem, that more difficult problem to solve than auto test
make more sense to do in gradual process
BM: indiv two flavors, test script batch run or interactive login session
RP: another set, company developing product doesn't talk to us - use build
system, autobuilder tests
right now everyone doing tests
would like to see those people helped
both test engrs and build engrs, devs
PB: manual testing much more slowly, doesn't catch as much
made change to image, need plugin arch
RP: if arch exists, easier to write a quick test than to write whole
infrastruc
BM: good at testing busybox, not good at testing USB stack
DS: yocto interest group work on this
if testing against random hardware, would think he would have hardware
some usage model needs to be clarified
RP: also if PB is working for a company, they probably already have remote
access
DS: common way of accessing
SH: maybe not totally common, but template
if we do well, can be a template to use both internally & externally

TE: get list of OSADL etc
PA: WR do want to participate, nominate for interest group kevin mccomb
BM: challenge carlos to run both lava and opentest
already test runner neutral
SH: send invite to yocto-ab list
will try to drive to point where we can look at what's available before
deploying much more
PA: direct parallel to what yocto stands for
commend mentor for stepping up & delivering
need to provide resources & infrastruc
hope don't end up at "analysis paralysis"
project starving in number of ways
BD: one thing we can all do, all have hardware that would benefit being
exposed to other devs/companies
option is to ship it
for all of us who have similar security concerns, now have firewall-free
option
can work with each other

TE: release in 1.2
talk at booth? already in pr statement

____________________________________
ELCE Overview

TE: big event, very busy day at yocto booth
DS: standing room only at my talk
60-70 people
good eneergy at show
RP: Euro ELC always more technical
TE: in 24 hrs we came up with good demos
DS: new videos great

____________________________________
Budget Overview

LT: 24k in budget, spent 11.3k
a few other charges coming in soon
figures come from LF

DS: have to use personal credit card for purchases?
would love to get vendors who can direct bill LF
LT: can set up a vendor also
>> will take action to handle
OSU rack charges, to end of year mostly hardware
increase in memory will make disk burn better
 invoices sent out to 6 companies
as of 10/24, only 2 paid
most people been pinged again
timesys not allocated, thinking of dropping out of AB
can't count on timesys so budget decreased

RP: can still be supporting organization if LF member
LT: AB may ned to come to some kind of tiered membership
fund is now down to 30k
have confirmation of payment in process from Mentor & TI
>>  jefro to follow up with MontaVista
TE: need to adjust budget, potentially 6-12k
NR: since some having trouble, set up 2nd level?
BM: interesting to have smaller level for smaller companies
also need to characterize contributions in kind

JC: Freescale approached for AB membership?
PA: have been working on them
at corp level alignment, need to work next level down
expressed interest in more direct participation
JC: they are now involved technically, good time to push
>>  paul to follow up with freescale
LT: should come up with tiered structure first
>>  lt, subgroup - also figure out where to cut for remaining 2011

____________________________________
Budget Planning for 2012

LT: infrastruc next year 160k
includes rack, autobuilders, resources (sysadmin) & internet
RP: having sysadmin resource makes a tremendous difference
many things he can help with
>>  DS (possibly have LF hire yocto sysadmin?)

LT: advocacy projection 154k
tradeshows, giveaways, assets
NR & TE: cut down to total of: 14k (q1), 9k (q2), 10k (q3), 0k (q4)
left some in every quarter for shows
plus some for t-shirts
some for training, demos (10k total)
total 39k
nothing for website work - possibly use sysadmin
poss need graphic design work (4k in new budget)

LT: ops costs
250/qtr f2f phone fees
600/mo for admin costs to LF

community - 10k, sponsoring developers to tradeshows
SH: make competitive?
>>  possible contest, TE & NR

45-50k/yr for large company

BM: if tiers exist, management will always look at bottom tier
need to set up: to qualify for lowest tier, can't have company worth x
go with company size, not participation level
RP: need to make sure smaller companies can be represented
possibly approach others on list?

SH: need to be cognizant that at any tier, make provision for FOSS projects
like OE
PB: for raising money need value proposition
SH: emphasize contributions in kind, some recognition

PB: feel for who is contributing to oe-core other than AB members?
need to recognize those efforts

LT: need to know numbers for next year, can depend on this amount?
may be less if we add more AB members
BM: DS suggests 45, already agreed 40
expectation if other members, could go down or have more budget
PB: biggest expense is admin
TE: nothing for shoeleather in there

LT: settle for now on 45 for each corp, still need to hear back from
mv/cavium
will have some idea before mid/end of nov
>> final answer in next AB

>> jefro & mike woster to talk to new LF members

____________________________________
Yocto Project 1.2 Planning

DS: not planning to minutest iota
structured around contributions folks can make, encouraging project to
support contribs
some things I really want for 1.2, insist focus on that but not fill 100%
dev hrs
get hit by usability things
want to solve usability items, primary focus for 1.2
also updating packages, kernel etc
RP: day to day running, featuers
>> remind AB members what want to achieve for 1.2, look at wiki page
now filing feature enhancements in bugzilla
go look at list
see whether hitting right things
for p2 & p3 priorities, nothing set in stone
focus is on developer experience, usability
SH: strongly encourage focus on simplification of deployment
>> DS to send around ideas, personas

Action Item Summary

LT: set up a vendor to handle billing directly to LF
JO: follow up with MontaVista
PA: follow up with Freescale
LT: finance subgroup should meet, discuss 2011 cuts, 2012 plans
DS: investigate LF hiring Yocto syadmin
TE & NR: investigate contest for sponsoring developer travel to tradeshows
LT: final answer for next year's bill per member organization in next AB
meeting
JO: meet with Mike Woster to discuss boosting AB membership
DS: send around ideas/personas

AB: look at 1.2 planning wiki page & comment

--
Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org