[poky] RPM vs IPK

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu May 19 07:05:14 PDT 2011

Building Poky for various targets, I see some striking differences
based on the packaging.  I'm building for the beagleboard (RPM)
and my own OMAP/3530 (IPK), so everything is the same for these
packages (same compiler, architecture, etc), only the package
method differs.  This was built on an otherwise idle box
4-way (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz), with
   BB_NUMBER_THREADS ?= "4"
   PARALLEL_MAKE ?= "-j 4"

Each of these tests are a complete build of the package, with
all dependencies already built.  For example, I use this sequence:
   % bitbake perl
   % bitbake perl -c clean
   % rm sstate-cache/sstate-perl-arm*
   % time bitbake perl

perl -      RPM                         IPK
        real    12m15.520s          real    9m43.228s
        user    5m42.988s           user    4m40.692s
        sys     3m56.636s           sys     2m19.860s

eglibc     RPM                          IPK
        real    32m19.984s          real    23m52.124s
        user    15m32.732s          user    20m48.214s
        sys     17m28.087s          sys     9m3.936s

Bottom line - it seems to take 20-30% longer to package via RPM.

I know there are reasons and tradeoffs for different packaging
methods, but 30% extra?