[poky] strangeness: udhcpc runs when 'ip=dhcp' is in kernel cmdline

Tim Cussins timcussins at eml.cc
Thu May 19 05:23:17 PDT 2011

Hi all,

i've built my own kernel and image for our development system, and i've
been mounting the rootfs image over NFS.

the kernel successfully does dhcp before mounting the NFS share - then
udhcpc kicks in because the busybox-udhcp script looks for 'ip=dhcp' in
the kernel command line (/proc/cmdline), launching udhcpc if it's
present. does this seem odd to anyone?

AFAIK ip=dhcp is only really used for NFS root mounts, and i guess i
assumed that the kernel would also be responsible for maintaining the
DHCP lease. I might be wrong there.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt#81

If anyone can shed some light on this, that'd be cool.

Cheers,
Tim