[poky] Commit and Patch message guidelines - fifth draft

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu May 12 20:12:11 PDT 2011

On 05/12/2011 07:03 PM, William Mills wrote:

> On 05/12/2011 07:49 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>
>> Which needs to be updated to better reflect the oe-core aspect I think.
>
> This might be at least one source of the cross posting as people are not
> sure poky vs oe-core.
>
>>> It seems to me there is a whole bunch of discussion happening on the
>>> poky list about making changes that that would effect everyone using
>>> openembedded-core.  Do we have two lists for discussion of stuff that
>>> effect the oe-core?
>>
>> No. As I understand it, things that go into poky.git/meta and things
>> that go into oe-core should be sent to the openembedded-core list. Patch
>> series for poky.git should be isolated in such a way so that they do not
>> include changes to meta (oe-core) and other areas at the same time.
>  >
>  > Does anyone have a different view?
>  >

> This seems logical to me. Thanks.  I also think discussion of a
> potential patch should be done on the list that the patch would go to yes?
>
> Maybe we could drive that definition to ground and get the mailing list
> page updated.
>
> ---
>
> So above, perhaps my "whole bunch" was overstated.  Let me retract that
> and say at least some.
>
> I don't mean to pick on you Darren;

Oh, I think I asked for this one :-)

> I really am just trying to
> understand and an example is often helpful.  Earlier you and Richard
> were discussing directdisc images [1] with a suggestion that it might be
> ripe for removal.  Should that have been on oe-core?

You are correct. I should have sent that to oe-core as the
implementation in question is in poky.git/meta (ie oe-core). Clearly,
this is easy to miss and will take some time for us to get there.

Thanks for pointing that out!

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center