[poky] Third party toolchain, kernel, bootloader

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Thu May 5 23:28:42 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm working on a couple of projects trying to use yocto and it boils
down to the fact, that the packages and the package management (with a
few tweaks) are very valuable.

On the other hand "just to give it a try" it's a major effort to add
kernel and bootloader to poky and moreover the gcc which comes with poky
is not always what I need in terms of stability but also features (need
e.g. Cortex-A8 support). So I would also need to cook gcc to compile a
vendor provided kernel and bootloader.

What I'm after is to add some packages from poky to some 3rd party
rootfs. One major problem I have is the dependency on libc6 (>= 2.12)
Usually I have some older versions of libc6: e.g. libc-2.8.so.

For the projects I'm currently working on kernel and bootloader are
already compiling/running and tested and I would like to add packages
like qt-embedded to the various rootfs.

To achieve this I would need a mechanism to use a 3rd party toolchain
with poky (and maybe to skip the build steps for kernel and boot loader).

Is this something yocto/poky was made for, or am I totally off?
Am I the only one who has such kind of problems?
How are others tackling these kind of problems?

Please advise,

Regards,

Robert

..."Rules of Optimization: Rule1: Don't do it. Rule 2 (for experts
only): Don't do it yet." - M.A. Jackson (not the singer)

My public pgp key is available at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1