[poky] README.hardware

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Dec 9 11:18:00 PST 2010

On 12/09/2010 12:08 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 06:47 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> This file seems quite out of date, in fact it's not been updated
>> for 9 months :-(
>>
>> I don't know enough details to suggest a patch, but I think it
>> would be useful to update it to reflect "today's Poky/Yocto" world,
>> especially with the new visibility of the project.
>>

> I agree, although I'm also wondering if it would be better to have this
> information on the wiki where it can be more easily maintained by the
> community.
>
> Or a balance? any machine in meta/conf/machine documented in
> README.hardware and anything else on the wiki.

Wikis are great, but I tend to think of the Poky "checkout" tree
as self-sufficient.  It has the full manual, etc, already so forcing
the user to have to go to the Wiki for such information (which is
really only overview anyway) would not be ideal.  A combination
of hard files and Wiki would be OK as long as the README.hardware
at least mentions the "well sanctioned" ports, which right now
it does not.

I also tend to err on the side of my [sadly] many customers
that may have to work in non-internet-connected environments,
so making them have to get to a Wiki to find such answers is
not really acceptable.