[poky] README.hardware

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Thu Dec 9 11:35:32 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 11:18 -0800, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 12:08 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 06:47 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> >> This file seems quite out of date, in fact it's not been updated
> >> for 9 months :-(
> >>
> >> I don't know enough details to suggest a patch, but I think it
> >> would be useful to update it to reflect "today's Poky/Yocto" world,
> >> especially with the new visibility of the project.
> >>

> > I agree, although I'm also wondering if it would be better to have this
> > information on the wiki where it can be more easily maintained by the
> > community.
> >
> > Or a balance? any machine in meta/conf/machine documented in
> > README.hardware and anything else on the wiki.
> >

> Wikis are great, but I tend to think of the Poky "checkout" tree
> as self-sufficient.  It has the full manual, etc, already so forcing
> the user to have to go to the Wiki for such information (which is
> really only overview anyway) would not be ideal.  A combination
> of hard files and Wiki would be OK as long as the README.hardware
> at least mentions the "well sanctioned" ports, which right now
> it does not.
>
> I also tend to err on the side of my [sadly] many customers
> that may have to work in non-internet-connected environments,
> so making them have to get to a Wiki to find such answers is
> not really acceptable.

I touched a bit on the current README.hardware in this posting, which
suggests converting each machine into a BSP layer:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2010-December/001104.html

In that scheme, the individual sections in README.hardware would be
moved into their own machine-specific READMEs for each BSP, keeping
everything together.  The individual READMEs could also be made
separately available on the 'BSP downloads' page and/or wiki for
convenience.  Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Tom