[meta-xilinx] Using Yocto with Avnet MiniZed

Dan Collins dan at collinsnz.com
Thu Apr 18 15:13:22 PDT 2019

Hi Philip,

Shortly after writing this note I found your u-boot fork on github. You've pre-empted a question I knew I was going to have, because the default Avnet image doesn't have ext4 to format my eMMC with. I see you've created a kernel and RAM disk to get that. Is there any reason you can't fit it into a boot partition on the eMMC though? In any case, bootstrapping like this is fine by me! Thanks for sharing the binary files and the overall process - I'll see about trying to emulate that.

I've also been in discussion with Nathan Rossi who explained a little more about the boot process. In particular, where u-boot SPL fits into the picture. He made a commit a while back that removed the SPL from the repo because it was missing the ps7 files, and I see you've gone ahead and added those files back in.

Regardless, I think there's something wrong with the kernel images I'm building. None have initramfs and neither my uImage or fitImage files will boot (the later is missing the device tree and config). I'll keep digging!

Kind regards,
Dan

---- On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 02:51:19 +1200 Philip Balister <mailto:philip at balister.org> wrote ----

I need to publish my WIP on the minized.

I've got a file system + kernel that boots from usb as a fitimage, with

the ramdisk you can partition, format and mount the emmc. Then untar a

tarball larger filesystem from the USB stick. Then boot from a fitimage

found inside that filesystem.

You do need an fpga image to hook up a couple of things in the fpga so

the kernel doesn't hang at boot.

There are some files at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9l5o4e4ipyqv2rs/AAA8ypYHK1Mmgjn-OZwiY2A9a?dl=0

you can play with. You will need to update boot.bin and u-boot-dtg.img

in qspi.

Philip