[meta-xilinx] Using Yocto with Avnet MiniZed

Dan Collins dan at collinsnz.com
Thu Apr 18 04:09:10 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a Yocto system running on my MiniZed and I'm making very slow progress. I don't fully understand the intended flow of the current machine (in meta-xilinx-contrib) so I've made a few patches to get things working the way I think I can. Right now my goal is a working system and I'm not fixed on using u-boot SPL vs Xilinx FSBL.

What I do have is a qSPI image with FSBL and a u-boot.elf image with CONFIG_OF_EMBED set (so device tree is now in u-boot). I spent a long time trying to get this to work before I finally found embedded the device tree helped! I even played around with getting FSBL to load u-boot from the eMMC, but I gave up pretty quickly as it seems we need a BOOT.bin and the Yocto toolchain is just giving me u-boot.bin and u-boot.elf.

Now, I'm trying to get a kernel image to boot but I'm stuck with u-boot telling me my uImage, on the eMMC, is no good (wrong image format for bootm). I decided I'd make even more changes and try using a fitImage instead, however I need to figure out how to get the device tree into my FIT image.

At this point, I've decided I must be going against the grain. Can anyone explain the recommended / tested path for this? The MiniZed board has the constraint that we can only boot from qSPI - but I am not fussed on using FSBL + u-boot, u-boot SPL + u-boot, or anything else.

Kind regards,

Dan Collins