[meta-xilinx] Problem with latest meta-xilinx

Nathan Rossi nathan at nathanrossi.com
Tue Dec 13 18:08:57 PST 2016

On 14 December 2016 at 10:12, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> On 12/12/2016 09:49 AM, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha wrote:
>> Hi Kyle,

I've made the morty branch, and updated master with a fix for the
updated u-boot recipe.

> While we are on the subject, we should revisit the patches applied in
> the bbappend, and possibly the entire bbappend.
>
> There are two patches one adding uEnv.txt support and the other support
> for loading the fpga from boot.bin.
>
> The uEnv patch is annoying when you are developing patches against
> mainline u-boot that involve changes in the zynq-common.h file. At this
> time, we should figure out if uEnv.txt support should be upstreamed in
> this file, or moved to specific board files.
>
> Does anyone load the fpga from boot.bin? We did at one point, but now do
> it via the u-boot fpga loading code. This one is less annoying than the
> uEnv.txt patch. I can also see advantages to loading it earlier in the
> boot process. Any idea why it isn't going upstream?

I've dropped all three patches. Whilst the SPL bitstream loading patch
was useful, this newer version of U-Boot has had some changes to add
FPGA fit image support which is likely a more complete solution and
already upstream.

Though the bbappend itself is still needed to handle the ps7_init_*
source adding.

> Finally, I think there are issues in the code in zynq-common.t that try
> to select CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE is the ENV isn't defined somewhere else.
> If you try using ENV in FAT or MMC it seems like you get duplicate
> symbols. This is really a u-boot issue, but I raise it here in case
> anyone has suggestions how to deal with this. Maybe just have the board
> define what the really need and stop trying to catch the error in this file.

The board define is probably the best option, since the zynq-common.h
include has its limitations/assumptions. Although if you do figure out
a fix that works within zynq-common.h send a patch to the u-boot list
that fixes it :).

Regards,
Nathan