[meta-xilinx] confused about linux-zynqmp-mainline_3.19.bb

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 4 23:50:09 PST 2015

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015, Nathan Rossi wrote:

> [...]

  ... snip ...

> >   however, immediately next, we have:
> >
> > include linux-xlnx.inc
> >
> > which then overrides some values, and sets SRC_URI to xilinx's github
> > repo:
> >
> > # Sources
> > KBRANCH ?= "master"
> > FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/linux-xlnx:"
> > SRC_URI = " \
> >
> > git://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git;protocol=https;branch=${KBRANCH} \
> >                 file://xilinx-base;type=kmeta;destsuffix=xilinx-base \
> >                 "
> >
> > but, weirdly, once that file is included, things pick up again back in
> > linux-zynqmp-mainline_3.19.bb, which reassigns SRC_URI:
> >
> > FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/linux-zynqmp-mainline:"
> > SRC_URI = " \
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=
> > https;branch=${KBRANCH} \
> > ... snip ...
> >
> >   this is just confusing ... is there a reason it's being done this
> > way?
>
> Quickness of getting it going. I put together the recipes for these
> components relatively quickly, as I knew they would be short lived
> recipes and serve mainly as a day one release sort of thing. All of
> the patches are intended on going upstream, and once that has been
> achieved the goal is to remove these "zynqmp-mainline" recipes as
> oe-core/linux-yocto picks up the newer releases.
>
> For this specific case it was easiest to just use the linux-xlnx
> recipe include, and override the source uri and srcrev. So that the
> build flow matched that of the linux-xlnx kernels. There are some
> undesirable changes that come from including it, but nothing that is
> particularly important from a functional build use case.

  not sure if you caught my question on the YP mailing list, but i was
asking about the above very usage of "type=kmeta" as part of the
SRC_URI in linux-xlnx.inc, and wondering why you did it this way (if
this was just the "getting it working and out the door" thing, that's
fine).

  but i'm curious as to whether you made a conscious decision to use
that feature, as bruce ashfield suggested that that's not a normal
developer feature, but i'd definitely be interested in whether you
picked that technique specifically for what you were doing, or whether
that's just a quick stopgap until, as you say, all this stuff is
upstreamed.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca