[meta-xilinx] confused about linux-zynqmp-mainline_3.19.bb

Nathan Rossi nathan.rossi at xilinx.com
Wed Mar 4 17:11:51 PST 2015

You caught me, I copied the linux-xlnx_3.14 recipe :). That comment is in-accurate, and you are correct in picking up that it refers to 3.19. This recipe is actually just mainline v3.19 + some zynqmp patches that were submitted to the upstream kernel on the 23rd. I will fix up the comment so it is clear.

>   however, immediately next, we have:
>
> include linux-xlnx.inc
>
> which then overrides some values, and sets SRC_URI to xilinx's github
> repo:
>
> # Sources
> KBRANCH ?= "master"
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/linux-xlnx:"
> SRC_URI = " \
>
> git://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx.git;protocol=https;branch=${KBRANCH} \
>                 file://xilinx-base;type=kmeta;destsuffix=xilinx-base \
>                 "
>
> but, weirdly, once that file is included, things pick up again back in
> linux-zynqmp-mainline_3.19.bb, which reassigns SRC_URI:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/linux-zynqmp-mainline:"
> SRC_URI = " \
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=
> https;branch=${KBRANCH} \
> ... snip ...
>
>   this is just confusing ... is there a reason it's being done this
> way?

Quickness of getting it going. I put together the recipes for these components relatively quickly, as I knew they would be short lived recipes and serve mainly as a day one release sort of thing. All of the patches are intended on going upstream, and once that has been achieved the goal is to remove these "zynqmp-mainline" recipes as oe-core/linux-yocto picks up the newer releases.

For this specific case it was easiest to just use the linux-xlnx recipe include, and override the source uri and srcrev. So that the build flow matched that of the linux-xlnx kernels. There are some undesirable changes that come from including it, but nothing that is particularly important from a functional build use case.

On a side note: Thanks for the patch fixing up the linux-xlnx-dev comment, I have applied that.

Regards,
Nathan