[meta-xilinx] Xilinx SDK Query for ZC702 and Zedboard

Nathan Rossi nathan at nathanrossi.com
Wed Jul 29 05:14:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Krishnakar, Srikanth
<Srikanth_Krishnakar at mentor.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I would like to know if PETALINUX 2015.2 release is based on yocto "meta-xilinx" layer ? I noticed that meta-xilinx is still building linux-xlnx-3.14 kernel where as Petalinux-2015.2 is being shipped with linux-xlnx-3.19 kernel. I have ZC702 & Zedboard to boot the Xilinx SDKs, May I know which is the latest sdk for these boards ?

I am not sure what PetaLinux 2015.2 is based on or what it includes.
However meta-xilinx has nothing to do with PetaLinux, there is no
implicit or explicit intention to track or match PetaLinux versions of
anything. As for the kernels in meta-xilinx the linux-xlnx_3.14 kernel
is based on the "xlnx_3.14" branch of the linux-xlnx repo. The
linux-xlnx 3.19 kernel recipes in meta-xilinx are based on the
"xilinx-v2015.2" tag of the linux-xlnx repo (aka the most recent
release).

When you say "which is the latest sdk for these boards" what do you
mean exactly?

> How actively the meta-xilinx is synced up with petalinux releases ? Should I go with petalinux SDK's for my boards or should I follow the meta-xilinx branches from Yocto repository ?

As mentioned above the meta-xilinx layer has nothing to do with
PetaLinux. However the plan is to continue to track the Xilinx kernel
with recipes for updated releases of the Xilinx kernel.

PetaLinux is a separate product/toolkit that has little to nothing to
do with the Yocto/OE tool flow. So the question you should really be
answering is do you want to use Yocto/OE or PetaLinux?

> Will there be any linux-xlnx-4.0 release this year ?

I don't see any reason why there wont be a 4.0 or newer release of
linux-xlnx this year (either for the 2015.3 or 2015.4 release cycles),
but I don't speak for Xilinx so you would need to confirm that is the
case. But if you want to use a 4.0 linux-xlnx kernel right now, the
master ref of the linux-xlnx repo is currently based on top of the 4.0
release. With the "linux-xlnx-dev" recipe in meta-xilinx you can use
that kernel right now.

Regards,
Nathan