[meta-xilinx] BOOT.BIN creation with hdf files

Nathan Rossi nathan at nathanrossi.com
Fri Jul 10 01:33:36 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Magnus Olsson <Mago at hms.se> wrote:
> I can only speak for meta-xilinx dizzy branch which is what I use, but AFAIK the only boot.bin generation it supports is the one provided by u-boot-xlnx.
>

> With meta-xilinx, your boot.bin will contain U-boot SPL and nothing else. You can then load FPGA images from U-boot (e.g your fpga.bit). U-boot SPL only needs ps7_init.c and ps7_init.h to build.

Note: u-boot-spl is able to load the bitstream during boot. This is
very very similar functionally to FSBL.

> If you need to load the FPGA earlier than U-boot in your boot sequence, you need to package boot.bin using the Xilinx SDK tool "bootgen". It allows packaging FSBL, FPGA image and U-boot. AFAIK there is no support for this in meta-xilinx, since it brings in a huge dependency on Xilinx SDK which is not easy to package (nor possible due to licenses I think).

FSBL requires a newlib baremetal toolchain. So its technically
possible to build FSBL without the need for XSDK, however there would
be a large amount of work to get this working. Secondly the bootgen
tool is not available outside of XSDK so even if FSBL could be built
the other problem would be generating a BOOT.BIN image which has the
FSBL image tables and content. Since there is an (in my opinion,
superior) open source solution to this problem (u-boot-spl) there is
significantly less interest in having this support in meta-xilinx.

For reference the existence of the fsbl codebase which is grabbed as
part of the fsbl-platform-init recipe is how the ps7_init_gpl.[ch] is
grabbed for the zc702, zc706, etc. machines. This recipe will likely
disappear in the future as u-boot upstream now contains a version of
these ps7_init_gpl.[ch] files.
e.g. http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=tree;f=board/xilinx/zynq/ZC702_hw_platform;h=fde2238e18a5e8bf99d5eea0fbed5fa01399febd;hb=HEAD

Regards,
Nathan