[meta-virtualization] [RFC 0/8] Update to Xen 4.5.0 and add AArch64 support

Chris Patterson cjp256 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:21:54 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Chris Patterson <cjp256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Chris Patterson <cjp256 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice! :)  I'll try to take this for a test drive this weekend and provide
>> some feedback.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Nathan Rossi <nathan.rossi at xilinx.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This patch series updates the Xen recipes to use version 4.5.0 as well as
>>> refactoring and adding support for AArch64.
>>>
>>> The first 6 patches of this series are relatively trivial changes: adding
>>> additional files to packages, updating dependencies and adding support
>>> for
>>> additional architectures ontop of x86-64. The most important change is
>>> the
>>> moving of some x86 of the packages from xen-base RDEPENDS to RRECOMMENDS.
>>>
>>> Patches 7 and 8 are the reason for this set being a RFC instead of just
>>> a patch
>>> set, I am after feedback regarding the changes I have made for these
>>> patches.
>>> In these two patches I disabled the building of xen-qemu and seabios from
>>> within the xen build system. There are a number of issues in wrapping
>>> the xen
>>> build system within OE (including source fetching and cross building).
>>>

> +1 with this approach. I'm sure that the qemu rev included with the xen
> release is better tested and has some appropriate patches for xen users.
> However, the oe-core qemu recipe is in much better shape.  Someone could
> break it out into its own recipe, if so desired.
>

>> Instead of building qemu from within xen, I have configured the qemu
>>> which is
>>> part of oe-core to build with xen support (PACKAGECONFIG_append =
>>> "xen"). Since
>>> xen support is available in mainline qemu this allows for easier support
>>> of the
>>> xen device emulation via qemu. The PACKAGECONFIG option in oe-core does
>>> need to
>>> be updated to point to the correct depends (which is seperate to this
>>> patch
>>> set).
>>>

> Agreed, maybe document in README? In my local.conf, I added:
> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu = " xen "
>

>> SeaBIOS is disabled due to fetching issues as well as only being
>>> supported on
>>> x86. I have not worked out the issues around this yet. I am querying as
>>> whether supporting it is desired, if so should it be via the xen build
>>> system
>>> or as a seperate recipe?
>>>

> +1 to breaking it out as a separate recipe, but it is important for us x86
> hvm users :)  If you'd like, I could attempt to port the recipe we use on
> openxt to meta-virtualization.

Actually, it seems to go beyond just the rom bin(s) with hvmloader.  What
about making it arch dependent feature?

> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>
>>> Nathan Rossi (8):
>>>   xen: Fix and refactor common include
>>>   xen: Add Build and Target architecture mapping
>>>   xen: Move x86/arch specific components into RRECOMMENDS
>>>   xen: Fix up architecture specific steps
>>>   xen: Add aarch64 as compatible host
>>>   xen-*image-minimal: Setup conditional based on MACHINE_FEATURES
>>>   xen: Update recipe to 4.5.0
>>>   xen-image-minimal: Install qemu instead of xen-qemu
>>>
>>>  recipes-extended/images/xen-guest-image-minimal.bb |   2 +-
>>>  recipes-extended/images/xen-image-minimal.bb       |   6 +-
>>>  ...lask-avoid-installing-policy-file-as-boot.patch |  26 -----
>>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen-arch.inc                  |  18 ++++
>>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc                       | 113
>>> +++++++++++++++++----
>>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.3.1.bb                  |  24 -----
>>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.5.0.bb                  |  36 +++++++
>>>  7 files changed, 150 insertions(+), 75 deletions(-)
>>>  delete mode 100644
>>> recipes-extended/xen/files/flask-avoid-installing-policy-file-as-boot.patch
>>>  create mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen-arch.inc
>>>  delete mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.3.1.bb
>>>  create mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.5.0.bb
>>>
>>> --
>>> 2.1.1
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> I did some really basic testing of xen-image-minimal. I built against
> master on a x86-64 host for an intel x86-64 target.
>
> For my build, I had to set TUNE_CCARGS="" for xen as the -mno-sse flag
> required in xen/arch/x86/Rules.mk was conflicting with the standard tune
> args.  I'm not sure the most appropriate way to do this, but that's how I
> worked around it.  Any ideas on a better way to handle this?
>
> Without addressing seabios, I couldn't do much to validate running guests,
> but otherwise it seem to run fine. We'll have to figure out something here.
>
> Nice work!
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris

Hey Nathan.  I made some progress on splitting out the firmware-related
packages on top of your patches.  I added a xen-hvmloader recipe that would
somehow need to be included in the image, but only for x86. I still have
some work to do, but my latest build seems to be usable for basic x86 hvm.

Work in progress @ https://github.com/cjp256/meta-virtualization/tree/master