[meta-virtualization] [RFC 0/8] Update to Xen 4.5.0 and add AArch64 support

Chris Patterson cjp256 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 23:15:21 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Chris Patterson <cjp256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice! :)  I'll try to take this for a test drive this weekend and provide
> some feedback.
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Nathan Rossi <nathan.rossi at xilinx.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This patch series updates the Xen recipes to use version 4.5.0 as well as
>> refactoring and adding support for AArch64.
>>
>> The first 6 patches of this series are relatively trivial changes: adding
>> additional files to packages, updating dependencies and adding support for
>> additional architectures ontop of x86-64. The most important change is the
>> moving of some x86 of the packages from xen-base RDEPENDS to RRECOMMENDS.
>>
>> Patches 7 and 8 are the reason for this set being a RFC instead of just a
>> patch
>> set, I am after feedback regarding the changes I have made for these
>> patches.
>> In these two patches I disabled the building of xen-qemu and seabios from
>> within the xen build system. There are a number of issues in wrapping the
>> xen
>> build system within OE (including source fetching and cross building).

+1 with this approach. I'm sure that the qemu rev included with the xen
release is better tested and has some appropriate patches for xen users.
However, the oe-core qemu recipe is in much better shape.  Someone could
break it out into its own recipe, if so desired.

> Instead of building qemu from within xen, I have configured the qemu which
>> is
>> part of oe-core to build with xen support (PACKAGECONFIG_append = "xen").
>> Since
>> xen support is available in mainline qemu this allows for easier support
>> of the
>> xen device emulation via qemu. The PACKAGECONFIG option in oe-core does
>> need to
>> be updated to point to the correct depends (which is seperate to this
>> patch
>> set).

Agreed, maybe document in README? In my local.conf, I added:
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu = " xen "

> SeaBIOS is disabled due to fetching issues as well as only being supported
>> on
>> x86. I have not worked out the issues around this yet. I am querying as to
>> whether supporting it is desired, if so should it be via the xen build
>> system
>> or as a seperate recipe?

+1 to breaking it out as a separate recipe, but it is important for us x86
hvm users :)  If you'd like, I could attempt to port the recipe we use on
openxt to meta-virtualization.

> Thanks,
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Rossi (8):
>>   xen: Fix and refactor common include
>>   xen: Add Build and Target architecture mapping
>>   xen: Move x86/arch specific components into RRECOMMENDS
>>   xen: Fix up architecture specific steps
>>   xen: Add aarch64 as compatible host
>>   xen-*image-minimal: Setup conditional based on MACHINE_FEATURES
>>   xen: Update recipe to 4.5.0
>>   xen-image-minimal: Install qemu instead of xen-qemu
>>
>>  recipes-extended/images/xen-guest-image-minimal.bb |   2 +-
>>  recipes-extended/images/xen-image-minimal.bb       |   6 +-
>>  ...lask-avoid-installing-policy-file-as-boot.patch |  26 -----
>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen-arch.inc                  |  18 ++++
>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen.inc                       | 113
>> +++++++++++++++++----
>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.3.1.bb                  |  24 -----
>>  recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.5.0.bb                  |  36 +++++++
>>  delete mode 100644
>> recipes-extended/xen/files/flask-avoid-installing-policy-file-as-boot.patch
>>  create mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen-arch.inc
>>  delete mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.3.1.bb
>>  create mode 100644 recipes-extended/xen/xen_4.5.0.bb
>>
>> --
>> 2.1.1
>>
>> --

I did some really basic testing of xen-image-minimal. I built against
master on a x86-64 host for an intel x86-64 target.

For my build, I had to set TUNE_CCARGS="" for xen as the -mno-sse flag
required in xen/arch/x86/Rules.mk was conflicting with the standard tune
args.  I'm not sure the most appropriate way to do this, but that's how I
worked around it.  Any ideas on a better way to handle this?

Without addressing seabios, I couldn't do much to validate running guests,
but otherwise it seem to run fine. We'll have to figure out something here.

Nice work!

Cheers,
-Chris