[meta-intel] Need Network Connection Tools to program 10GbE NVM

Thomas, GabrielX gabrielx.thomas at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 10:01:15 PDT 2018

Hello guys,

I have received the following case, maybe one of you can help me, he is using Grangeville platform (Broadwel-DE).

Checking the document number 348742 - Intel Network Connections Tools - LAN Software Tools.
I need either LANConf or EEUpdate to download some binaries onto MAC NVM device in order to configure 10GBe controller on our Intel Xeon-D processor.  I already get the steps and the NVM binaries that I need, but I still need the tools, and documentation for the tools.  I've attempted looking for them at Intel's website, but am totally lost.  "Search" function doesn't seem to do what I expect it to do either.

Once he tried the doc 348742, he posted the following:

 I'd tried linux_64 and linux_x64 versions of eeupdate.  Neither one of them runs on my target system.

root at intel-corei7-64:/tmp# ./eeupdate64e
-sh: ./eeupdate64e: No such file or directory
root at intel-corei7-64:/tmp# file eeupdate64e
eeupdate64e: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=7e15978f8f2bd08ae6b946f94b5ededbc83077cf, not stripped

I'd looked into the installation procedure attached.  It suggested a rebuild of some driver stub for Linux.  However, the makefile and environment seems to suggest the build is for an executable/shared objects that run on the development system.  Ours is a cross-platform development.  We develop on Linux using Yocto's toolchain, and generate executables for Intel processor running Yocto Linux on a separate target.  Any recommendation for how we could get your tool working on our run-time system?

Additionally:

1. I'm ABLE to run on 2016 Yocto Linux (uname -a: Linux intel-corei7-64 4.4.26-yocto-standard #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 2 23:55:19 PDT 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux).
2. I'm NOT able to run on 2017 Yocto Linux (uname -a: Linux intel-corei7-64 4.9.99-intel-pk-standard #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 13 01:12:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

What change(s) do I need to be able to migrate these Intel tools, such as eeupdate forward with our Linux version?  This maybe the same question that I already asked.

Furthermore, I got this error message when I run eeupdate on 2016 Linux above:

Connection to QV driver failed - please reinstall it!

Is this the driver stub that the tool manual alluded to?  What capabilities can we not use if this is not fixed?  At this time, we're able to dump EEPROM and flash binary contents.  We intend to use the tool(s) to update the binary image, along with some specific field values (e.g. choosing I2C vs. SMBUS as external PHY control).

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Gabriel Thomas

For information on Intel's privacy practices, please see our privacy policy at:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/privacy/intel-online-privacy-notice-summary.html

Or you may write: Intel Corporation, ATTN Privacy, Mailstop RNB4-145, 2200 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA
Intel Corporation | Legal Information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others"