[meta-intel] Unable to install the image on the hard disk

Cal Sullivan california.l.sullivan at intel.com
Thu Mar 29 17:32:20 PDT 2018

Generally a .wic image is intended to be installed directly to its final
destination, whereas an hddimg is for evaluation and installation elsewhere.

By default meta-intel .wic images only have an EFI bootloader, and will
not boot via legacy BIOS.

An hddimg will have both an EFI bootloader and the syslinux binaries
that let it boot from legacy BIOS.

On startup with your installer USB image do you get a light gray screen
with four options? If so it is booting via legacy BIOS.

Are you able to get to an EFI shell? It may be worth poking around
there. At the very least to make sure there is an fs0: that contains a
bootx64.efi under the /EFI/BOOT/ directory. If that isn't there then
your firmware isn't seeing the SSD at all for some reason.

Thanks,

Cal