[meta-intel] meta-valleyisland BSP layer retirement communication

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Jul 20 15:11:25 PDT 2016

Hi Ng,

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 03:36, Ng, Mei Yeen <mei.yeen.ng at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Dear mailing-list,
>
> We are planning to retire meta-valleyisland BSP layer from meta-intel master branch and this change is targeted for the upcoming Yocto Project 2.2.
>
> This layer is retired in future YP releases because there are no immediate requirements for support in newer LTSI kernel.

Could you please explain what that means / why that is the case? There are boards requiring this BSP that will be in production until after 2020 (we use one) and it would be a pity not to be able to benefit from the improvements that will be made in future versions of Yocto.

>  The meta-valleyisland BSP layer will continue to be maintained in Yocto Project for:
> Yocto Project v2.0 (Jethro) https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps/jethro20/valley-island <https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps/jethro20/valley-island>
Does that mean that there is no official support for ‘krogoth’, even though meta-intel has meta-valleyisland in the ‘krogoth’ branch? I’m currently updating our code to use this...

>  If you have a concern on this proposal, please let us know.
> If we do not hear any response from mailing-list, we will remove meta-valleyisland BSP from meta-intel master branch start from 3rd August 2016.
>
> Thank you.
> Ng Mei Yeen
> Intel Corporation

Chris Tapp