[meta-intel] Atom E3845: Kernel build issues

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 22 07:42:12 PDT 2015

On 09/22/2015 07:15 AM, Prasant J wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Prasant J <pj0585 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Pj:
>>>
>>> This is sounding similar to your other issue, where are you copying the
>>> files to exactly, what disk or usb device? Are you using initramfs.
>>>
>>> Your using grub, correct?  Have you changed the default grub.conf from
>>> the build?
>>>

>> I'm using GRUB and you are right, the problem is very similar to my GRUB
>> issue (not yet resolved).
>> I have installed the system on an SD Card and booting from that.
>> Its an installed system and I'm not using initramfs.
>>
>> Why should I change he default grub.conf? (Are you referring to my GRUB
>> issue or do I need to update grub.conf for updating the kernel?

>> I just rebuilt the kernel. I used the following commands:
>>      bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig
>>      bitbake linux-yocto -c compile
>>

>> I copied the latest kernel build from yocto build:
>> tmp/work/core2-32-intel-common-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.17.1+git...../linux-core2-32-intel-build/arch/x86/boot/bzImage)
>> and replaced 2 files on the target system:
>> GRUB Partition: /vmlinuz
>> ROOT Partition: /boot/bzImage-3.17.1-yocto-standard
>>
>> I also update the kernel modules on the target system.
>>

>> Anything wrong you observe in the above steps?
>>

>> Saul, thanks again for your response.
>>

>> Regards, Pj
>>

> Saul, I found the issue.
> There was an old installation on the eMMC flash (another storage) and the
> BIOS boot preferences had changed, so the GRUB and kernel were used from
> the eMMC instead of SD Card. Back to school for me.
>
> Interestingly the root file system was being used from SD Card and not the
> eMMC (that is what misled me all the time). I have to check why root file
> system from SD Card was used. That may be with my setup.

This could be from the grub config file, it will use grub and the kernel
from the eMMC, but if the root= is set it will use the rootfs from
/dev/mmcblk* if that's setup in the grub config.  Since you did not tell
me about the eMMC I could not have guessed it would have booted from there.

Glad you figured it out.

Sau!