[meta-intel] The gma500_gfx driver, X server, & OpenGL

Erik Bolton EBolton at agjunction.com
Mon Mar 16 15:56:58 PDT 2015

Hey All:

I'm trying to switch the embedded Linux distro that several of our projects are using to yocto.

I'm currently working with the dizzy branch (1.7.1) of the meta-intel layer. Our hardware platform is based on an Atom Z530 and Menlow, so I'm working with the emenlow-noemgd BSP. The majority of our development efforts center around a large C++ application that uses OpenGL (currently the desktop variation, non-ES) and Qt 4.8.

I'm building core-image-minimal with x11 added as an IMAGE_FEATURE.

The problem I'm having is that X server won't run because AIGLX can't find a screen capable of DRI2 and the software rasterization driver isn't installed. Here's a chunk of the log:

[608262.391] (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
[608262.391] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
[608262.391] (**) |   |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
[608262.391] (**) |   |-->Device "gma500"

[608262.639] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[608262.639] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[608262.639] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[608262.639] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
[608262.639] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0

Now, I know some of the background surrounding the Poulsbo GPU, the GMA 500 kernel driver, Intel's EMGD driver, and the general cluster that has ensued, but there's still some things that confuse me.

1)      Has anyone else seen the same error? Any insight?

2)      Does the gma500_gfx driver support OpenGL/GLX at all? My assumption was that Intel wouldn't drop the EMGD from the yocto BSPs that use this GPU if the new kernel driver didn't have SOME 3D acceleration support, but now I'm not sure. I can see GL and GLES libs in /usr/lib, but I can't tell who is providing them.

3)      I need hardware accelerated OpenGL, so, assuming the gma500_gfx is no good, do you guys think I should try and hack the EMGD driver back into the 1.7.1 BSP and disable the gma500_gfx driver or take another route?

Thanks very much.
-Erik
Disclaimer: This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of AgJunction Inc and its subsidiaries. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.