[meta-intel] J1900 (Bay trail) BSP

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Mon Apr 28 14:03:46 PDT 2014

On 28 Apr 2014, at 21:46, Ong, Boon Leong <boon.leong.ong at intel.com> wrote:

>>> Bay Trail BSP is now named, meta-valleyisland. It is in meta-intel/meta-isg.
>> Please do checkout Dora branch as it is not available in master branch.
>>
>> I should have asked the other day if there are plans for meta-valleyisland to
>> be added to Daisy and future versions?
>
> We plan to support BYT for daisy on Linux v3.10 LTSI/LTS. We are currently
> up-streaming BYT related kernel drivers (with PCI enumeration support).
> So, it is anticipated that the next LTS/LTSI to be announced by Aug/Sept time-frame
> should carry with it all the kernel drivers for BYT.  Knowing that future YP releases will always
> have a version of Linux LTS/LTSI, so from our perspective, the kernel drivers should just work onwards.

Thanks, that's good news :-) I'll kick things off using Dora and plan to move to Daisy later on.

> Please DO anticipate that in future, we are likely to drop validating BYT platform after some
> version of Linux LTSI and switch focus on next platform. So, if you need to ensure
> your product that to continue to work on future releases of Linux, you can
> either maintain it yourself or engage OSVs such as Wind River which has extended support.

I'm hoping that we won't need any updates once we've got the initial version running, especially as we don't have the budget to engage OSVs.

We only run with hardware that's part of the platform, so kernel updates aren't likely to be needed. It's sometimes nice to be able to use later versions of other packages (e.g. GStreamer), but those are generally simple enough to pull in if needed.

>> I hope so, as the embedded board I'm looking to use is due to be launched
>> about now and will be available until 2020 ;-)
>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Rebecca

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com