[meta-intel] Use of overrides in linux-yocto bbappends

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 11 08:49:17 PDT 2014

On 4/11/14, 8:37, "Paul Eggleton" <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Koen reported that with a recent change to meta-minnow where
>LINUX_VERSION =
>"something" changed to LINUX_VERSION_minnow = "something" (which was a
>good
>change), the result was that the version of the linux-yocto kernel
>packages
>for an unrelated machine in another layer went backwards, because the
>value
>that was previously leaking over into that machine's kernel recipe wasn't
>anymore.
>
>This in itself is OK, since the change was to make the append set the
>variable
>correctly. However it prompted me to look through meta-intel to see how
>we're
>setting LINUX_VERSION. I see there are a number of bbappends for
>linux-yocto*
>recipes that set LINUX_VERSION with no machine override; we need to stop
>doing
>this. I can throw together a patch to fix it, but we'll also need to make
>sure
>new BSPs added in future use overrides as well. Any suggestions on how to
>handle the latter? Is this a documentation issue?

I've already asked Nitin to make this change across meta-intel and have
corrected patches that have been coming in without the MACHINE override.
So yes, we're on it.

I suppose this should be added to the linux kernel development manual.

--
Darren Hart					Open Source Technology Center
darren.hart at intel.com				            Intel Corporation