[meta-intel] Use of overrides in linux-yocto bbappends

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 11 08:37:09 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

Koen reported that with a recent change to meta-minnow where LINUX_VERSION =
"something" changed to LINUX_VERSION_minnow = "something" (which was a good
change), the result was that the version of the linux-yocto kernel packages
for an unrelated machine in another layer went backwards, because the value
that was previously leaking over into that machine's kernel recipe wasn't
anymore.

This in itself is OK, since the change was to make the append set the variable
correctly. However it prompted me to look through meta-intel to see how we're
setting LINUX_VERSION. I see there are a number of bbappends for linux-yocto*
recipes that set LINUX_VERSION with no machine override; we need to stop doing
this. I can throw together a patch to fix it, but we'll also need to make sure
new BSPs added in future use overrides as well. Any suggestions on how to
handle the latter? Is this a documentation issue?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton