[meta-intel] Tagging policy

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 5 20:16:24 PST 2012

All,

Tom and I are looking to clean up the meta-intel repository and
establish our stable policy.

The plan is to maintain one branch per release and master:
	master
	edison
	denzil
	danny

We will then use tags to identify static points for building releases.
This is where we need some help. Looking at the poky repository I can't
determine what the scheme is. There are tags like "1.3" and
"denzil-7.0", but no "danny" tags. I don't care what we use for tagging,
but I would like to be consistent with poky.

Since we don't know ahead of time what the release name will be, we sort
of have to use a numeric scheme. Should we use something like:

	v1.3
	v1.3.1
	v1.4_M1_RC2
	v1.4_M1
	v1.4_M2_RC2
	v1.4

Or is there a preferred tagging scheme that would align with poky and
make it easier for Beth?

The stable process will be typical. Commits go to master and are
cherry-picked back to the release branches. New point release tags will
be made periodically, roughly aligning with the poky point releases.

Also, once the tagging is in place, we will be deleting all the other
branches from the repository:

	1.1_M1
	1.1_M2
	1.1_M3