[meta-freescale] linux-fslc-lts-4.19

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 23:39:21 PDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 9:30 PM Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> Hello Andy,
>
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM Andy Pont <andy.pont at sdcsystems.com> wrote:
> > The use of Linux mainline requires the use of 'use-mainline-bsp'
> > override. To do that, you can:
> >
> > At local.conf add:
> >
> > MACHINEOVERRIDES_append = ":use-mainline-bsp"
> >
> > Or add it to your machine definition.
> >
> > That just seems to cause too many problems with building the rest of the system. The first complaint was:
> >
> > ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'gstreamer1.0-plugins-imx’
> >
> > If I remove that from the local.conf file then:
> >
> > ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'imx-gpu-viv’
> >
> > For the time being I think the jump from 4.9 to 4.19 is too big a jump. Is there an easy way to get closer to to 4.9.190 the current 4.9 LTS version?
>
> Yes, it is. But it is managed by our packagegroups and like.
>
> Likely your image uses them hardcoded. We are using 5.2.10 internally
> for few customers.

FWIW - We use linux-fscl-lts for our products. That*s why I introduced
linux-fscl-lts. It is on variscite-som imx6 and am VERY happy about it
since using un-tailored sources (have to admit that our images do not
contain much of multimedia but that is not the focus of energy meter
devices exactly...). Starts that I can have X AND wayland in same
image / our Qt/QML applications perform at least as good with vivante.
And Qt/X11 updates do not cause pain anymore (not matching headers /
API changes).

Maybe [1] - helps to see what is required from kernel point of view
and: do not use imx-specific recipes/packagegroups: they fail and are
not necessary.

Cheers

Andreas

[1] https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-3rdparty/blob/master/conf/machine/imx6qdl-variscite-som.conf