[meta-freescale] imx6 mesa-etnaviv performance to expect

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Fri Sep 7 13:54:35 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM Andreas Müller <schnitzeltony at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on BSP refresh for Variscite VARSOM iMX6.
> Patches to meta-freescale-3rdparty will be sent soon (see [1]) and
> when brave enough I'll give linux mainline a try - but currently I am
> not :).
> For many reasons I try to avoid BLOBs for graphic acceleration. One of
> them on vivante is that I cannot have X/Wayland in same image. BTW
> That caused dozens of patches in meta-qt5-extra/kde which I am really
> tired of maintaining.
> So I decided to give mesa-etnaviv on linux-fslc a go. Up to now
> nothing burned down and most periphery works but I have the feeling
> that system feels a bit sluggish.
>
> My setup:
> * GC2000 vivante
> * Xserver(1.19.6)
> * latest xf86-video-armada / libdrm-armada seemed quiet recently
> * Mesa (18.1.3)
> * libdrm (2.4.91)
> * connected by HDMI to a monitor 1280x1024.
>
> With glmark2-es2 I get results of 80 frame/s.
>
> Now my question:
>
> Is this a value to expect? Or do others get higher values which means
> I am doing something wrong. Answers of any kind welcome :)

If you use master you will likely see some improvement due to newer
mesa and libdrm.

I did a look at your patches and I'd love to get it merged. Specially
about your dts patches, did you consider sending it to mainline?
either way, I'd prefer to apply it to our fork then carry patches on
it.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750