[meta-freescale] imx6 mesa-etnaviv performance to expect

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:15:50 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am currently working on BSP refresh for Variscite VARSOM iMX6.
Patches to meta-freescale-3rdparty will be sent soon (see [1]) and
when brave enough I'll give linux mainline a try - but currently I am
not :).
For many reasons I try to avoid BLOBs for graphic acceleration. One of
them on vivante is that I cannot have X/Wayland in same image. BTW
That caused dozens of patches in meta-qt5-extra/kde which I am really
tired of maintaining.
So I decided to give mesa-etnaviv on linux-fslc a go. Up to now
nothing burned down and most periphery works but I have the feeling
that system feels a bit sluggish.

My setup:
* GC2000 vivante
* Xserver(1.19.6)
* latest xf86-video-armada / libdrm-armada seemed quiet recently
* Mesa (18.1.3)
* libdrm (2.4.91)
* connected by HDMI to a monitor 1280x1024.

With glmark2-es2 I get results of 80 frame/s.

Now my question:

Is this a value to expect? Or do others get higher values which means
I am doing something wrong. Answers of any kind welcome :)

Cheers,

Andreas

[1] https://github.com/schnitzeltony/meta-freescale-3rdparty/tree/work-2018-09