[meta-freescale] X11/wayland configuration for i.mx7 board

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:39:34 PDT 2018

I've recently started learning about the Yocto project and freescale.  I
have an i.mx7 Dual sabre SD board to work with.

On the SD card shipped with a the board was a 4.1.15 kernel that boots a
simple interface that allows various things like X11-vnc, a terminal,
and a few sample games.  When I build the distro config xwayland w/
image fsl-image-gui, or image-qt5 etc the resulting image is much
smaller.  I can write directly to the framebuffers with gstreamer and
get output on the LCD or an HDMI monitor but there doesn't appear to be
any sample programs and Xorg refused to start saying it was missing some
drivers and config information.

(I built the 4.9.88 kernel 2.0.0 release from the repo/git branch).

Is there a specific image or a layer I need to enable to build an image
with more UI support?  It seems the images built w/ yocto/bitbake is a
little sparse and I'm not sure if that is by design or if I've done
something wrong along the way.

-Dennis