[meta-freescale] Cellular modem support for IMX7 Linux distribution

Thomas Thorne Thomas.Thorne at net2edge.com
Tue Sep 20 02:28:38 PDT 2016

Hi Johan,

I am looking into something similar for the LS1021 IOT and TWR systems.  If you have found any general Linux tools that might be useful I would be interested to hear about them (possibly by direct email if discussing such things is bit off topic for this email list).

I reached the same conclusion as you; that connecting the device over USB, PCIe and UART to with a socket that could be accesses via an application or command line should be possible.  Most Modems I was looking it used an AT command set.  I am not aware of any widely availed AT command libraries, so if further research does not reveal any I will implement the handful of commands I need in my own application code.

I have got such a modem to work under desktop Linux as a USB device.  This seems build in to the standard Ubuntu desktop.  I can see a series of UARTs and a new Network point.  From there I have mounted the modem onto the USB port of a LS1021-TWR board and got the community build firmware to come up.  I just got back from holiday and cannot recall if I saw the new UARTs and a network device on the target.  Whether I get that working or not my next step will probably be to try getting things working with the modem connected via Mini PCI.

Regards,
Thomas A. F. Thorne<mailto:Thomas.Thorne at Net2Edge.com>  Software Engineer  Net2Edge<http://www.net2edge.com/>