[meta-freescale] Freescale Yocto Question - Building imx6dl-riotboard

Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com
Mon Nov 14 10:00:03 PST 2016

Thanks Daiane, maybe I am getting ahead of myself with the questions.
Under the FSL Community BSP's "Support Board List", I see the "imx6dl-riotboard / RIotboard / i.MX6S / meta-fsl-arm-extra".
http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.1/index.html#supported-boards
Is this imx6dl-riotboard BSP and machine configuration file the one that can run on the RIoTboard evaluation platform found on http://riotboard.org/ ?
If it is not, do you have reference or a web URL for the one RIoTboard that you support?

Regards,
-Eric Zaluzec
(Eric.Zaluzec at Emerson.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: angolini at gmail.com [mailto:angolini at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Daiane Angolini
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 11:20 AM
To: Zaluzec, Eric [NETPWR/AL]
Cc: meta-freescale at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Freescale Yocto Question - Building imx6dl-riotboard

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM,  <Eric.Zaluzec at emerson.com> wrote:
> Greeting,
>
> I have a quick question concerning the imx6dl-riotboard machine
> configuration file, maintained by the Yocto Freescale community.
>
> We have an upcoming project for which we are considering a i.MX6 Dual
> Lite processor. But since there are no Dual Lite evaluation boards, at
> this time, we were provided an i.mx6 solo RIoTboard to use for initial
> testing, by Avnet and NXP distributors.
>

> First off, thank you for providing up-to-date Yocto build repositories
> and documentation! This makes kicking-off a new Yocto BSP Project much simpler!
> Cheers.
>
> I read the Freescale Yocto User Guide here:
> http://www.bcmcom.com/CustomerDL/AR6MX/Yocto/Freescale_Yocto_Project_U
> ser's_Guide.pdf I then read the  RIoTboard Yocto build guide here:
> https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-boar
> d-computers/riotboard/blog/2014/09/22/riotboard-yocto-part1-getting-st
> arted
>
> Using both resources, I successfully built a Yocto image and was able
> to install onto my RIoTboard.
>

> Now, using Yocto, I would like to build a RIoTboard image with a fido
> or krogoth branch of Yocto, to make use of the updated packages &
> bitbake recipes, like boost and java, These versions are dependencies
> to my metadata layer’s packages.
>
> I went to the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp git repository site and found the
> imx-4.1-krogoth branch:
> http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/?h=imx
> -4.1-krogoth
>

> I followed the User Guide steps, but this time cloned the
> imx-4.1-krogoth branch. I noticed the riotboard.conf machine
> configuration file no longer existed, but a imx6dl-riotboard machine
> was present in the meta-fsl-arm-extra & meta-freescale-3rdparty
> metadata layers. I successfully built an image with this machine conf
> file, but then realized that it was ‘dl’ (Dual Lite?) and would not
> boot with the solo RIoTboard that I was using.
>

> Question :
>
> Are there any branches on for the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp repository that
> are fido/jethro/krogoth compatible, that include the riotboard solo
> machine configuration file?
> http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git
>
> If not, is it possible for users, like me, to base a riotboard solo
> machine conf file off the imx6dl-riotboard machine and create a
> successful BSP image? Or are these unavoidable conflicts?
>

> The critical piece here is not necessarily having a v4.1 kernel but
> just the use of the updated package recipes & the dependency to custom
> packages trying to be installed & tested on the riotboard!
>

> Any help, suggestions, or feedback would greatly be appreciated! Right
> now I am just tinkering with learning about the riotboard machine conf
> file to see if I can port it to the imx-4.1-krogoth branch.

I'm not sure you're going to be able to use imx-4.1-krogoth branch with the riot board. Please, take a look at [1]

We have support for one riot board, double check if this is what you are looking for.

[1] http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.1/index.html#the-differences-between-project-name-and-freescale-release-name

Daiane