[meta-freescale] Freescale Yocto Question - Building imx6dl-riotboard

Daiane Angolini daiane.list at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:20:02 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM,  <Eric.Zaluzec at emerson.com> wrote:
> Greeting,
>
> I have a quick question concerning the imx6dl-riotboard machine
> configuration file, maintained by the Yocto Freescale community.
>
> We have an upcoming project for which we are considering a i.MX6 Dual Lite
> processor. But since there are no Dual Lite evaluation boards, at this time,
> we were provided an i.mx6 solo RIoTboard to use for initial testing, by
> Avnet and NXP distributors.
>

> First off, thank you for providing up-to-date Yocto build repositories and
> documentation! This makes kicking-off a new Yocto BSP Project much simpler!
> Cheers.
>
> I read the Freescale Yocto User Guide here:
> http://www.bcmcom.com/CustomerDL/AR6MX/Yocto/Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf
> I then read the  RIoTboard Yocto build guide here:
> https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/riotboard/blog/2014/09/22/riotboard-yocto-part1-getting-started
>
> Using both resources, I successfully built a Yocto image and was able to
> install onto my RIoTboard.
>

> Now, using Yocto, I would like to build a RIoTboard image with a fido or
> krogoth branch of Yocto, to make use of the updated packages & bitbake
> recipes, like boost and java, These versions are dependencies to my metadata
> layer’s packages.
>
> I went to the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp git repository site and found the
> imx-4.1-krogoth branch:
> http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/?h=imx-4.1-krogoth
>

> I followed the User Guide steps, but this time cloned the imx-4.1-krogoth
> branch. I noticed the riotboard.conf machine configuration file no longer
> existed, but a imx6dl-riotboard machine was present in the
> meta-fsl-arm-extra & meta-freescale-3rdparty metadata layers. I successfully
> built an image with this machine conf file, but then realized that it was
> ‘dl’ (Dual Lite?) and would not boot with the solo RIoTboard that I was
> using.
>

> Question :
>
> Are there any branches on for the fsl-arm-yocto-bsp repository that are
> fido/jethro/krogoth compatible, that include the riotboard solo machine
> configuration file?
> http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git
>
> If not, is it possible for users, like me, to base a riotboard solo machine
> conf file off the imx6dl-riotboard machine and create a successful BSP
> image? Or are these unavoidable conflicts?
>

> The critical piece here is not necessarily having a v4.1 kernel but just the
> use of the updated package recipes & the dependency to custom packages
> trying to be installed & tested on the riotboard!
>

> Any help, suggestions, or feedback would greatly be appreciated! Right now I
> am just tinkering with learning about the riotboard machine conf file to see
> if I can port it to the imx-4.1-krogoth branch.

I'm not sure you're going to be able to use imx-4.1-krogoth branch
with the riot board. Please, take a look at [1]

We have support for one riot board, double check if this is what you
are looking for.

[1] http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.1/index.html#the-differences-between-project-name-and-freescale-release-name

Daiane