[meta-freescale] imx6 kernel 4.1.1 doesn't find rootfs and sd-card

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:13:54 PDT 2016

Hi Markus,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Markus Haege <haemarkus at gmail.com> wrote:
> => repo init -u https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform -b
> krogoth
>

> A while ago I tried to migrate from (working) fido to krogoth with an imx6
> custom board.
> The Kernel boots, but fails to load rootfs. I exchanged kernel zImage from
> krogoth with the kernel from jethro (3...) and login apeared. Not willing to
> debug the kernel i continued to work with fido till today and tried to make
> a quick hack with the updated kernel 4 from branch krogoth and u-boot
> 2016.03.
>
> It stops at the same line:
>
> Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
>
> No message in bootlog about the sd-card partitions. A few months ago I spend
> lots of time with googling and try/error (kernel-config) but didn't find
> solution. Is there a adjustment to make in new Kernel 4.1.1, to find rootfs
> and the partitions?

Yes, this issue is very annoying.

The solution is not to use /dev/mmcblk to indicate the rootfs location
and use UUID instead.

Here is a patch I did for warp7:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2016-August/264810.html

You can adapt the same idea to your board and it will always find the rootfs :-)