[meta-freescale] imx6dl-riotboard: Does not generate valid SD card image

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Tue Aug 9 09:47:44 PDT 2016

Hello Dominic,

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2016-08-09 17:55, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>>> The very same happens with imx6sl-warp, but NOT with imx7s-warp
>>>
>>> I was not able to find time to debug the image_types_fsl class so far
>>> (but it's in my endless task list)
>>
>> The SoC family solution works but will break other things as it will
>> enable the i.MX specific patches and support.
>>
>> I think we need to find other alternative to fix the issue.
>
> What kind if things would break when setting SOC_FAMILY = "mx6:mx6dl"?

As currently the board uses the mainline kernel, it does not offers
the i.MX specific headers and drivers so the recipes which require
those drivers and headers won't build.

Some of the recipes going to fail are:

https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/blob/master/conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc#L65-L66

> Why wouldn't riotboard be "part of the family"?

Until someone adds proper support for the board in the linux-fslc-imx
it cannot be enabled. Same is valid for WaRP.

> I've been using a modified riotboard machine config for some time, in
> which I set SOC_FAMILY so that I can run linux-fslc-imx on riotboard.

Good, so you could instead contribute with the community and prepare
proper patches,

> Also the board seems to get the wrong DEFAULTTUNE unless SOC_FAMILY is
> set ("armv7a-neon", should be "cortexa9thf-neon").

This is not wrong, it is a valid architecture for a Cortex A9. In fact
I have customers which use it due valid reasons.