[meta-freescale] IMX.6Q OpenCV image processing performances

Duronea Jean-baptiste jb.duronea at delta-technologies.fr
Tue Sep 1 02:03:30 PDT 2015

We want to develop an embedded camera integrating a processing unit like
IMX.6 or FPGA for image processing tasks.
In this regard, I'm testing IMX6.Q performances with face detection
algorithm (using OpenCV :
http://docs.opencv.org/doc/tutorials/objdetect/cascade_classifier/cascade_classifier.html)
executing on the CPU.
The images processed by the algorithm are picked from the DV5642 camera
of the SabreSD, using v4l library :
https://github.com/andreluizeng/v4l_opencv_wrapper_yocto
As I said, results are really bad : between 500ms and 1.5 processing
time per image.
In view of these performances, we are looking for algorithm using IMX6.Q
Vivante GPU to perform processing tasks on the images (using OpenGL ES
2.0/3.0 or OpenCL EP).

Did someone used processing image algorithm using CPU on the IMX6 ?
Can you share me your result so I can compare with mine ?

Did someone used processing image algorithm using Vivante GPU on the
IMX6 ? Which library do you use ? Did you implement your own algorithm ?
If someone uses GPU, can you please share me performances delivered ?

Thanks a lot.

*Jean-baptiste DURONEA*

Ingénieur d'étude

+33 5 61 43 39 08