[meta-freescale] from where to start to port some patches to a newer kernel

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Wed Oct 21 11:00:18 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On 10/21/2015 06:53 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>> So first thing I would do is to move for U-Boot mainline (or here, u-boot-fslc).
>
> [snip]
>
>> I would take linux-fslc 4.1 branch or linux mainline (4.3-rcX).
>
> Sorry for trying hard to be as much as I can a freeloader ;) but which
> one is going to be the one that once I finish my work I'll see supported
> by others?

None; it is your duty to maintain it. The best is always to mainline
the source code but as it is maintained by community it cannot be
expected that someone will keep an eye on it.

> Or maybe to suggest a different opportunity:
> which one do you think has more chances to be adopted by the
> manufacturer once I'll knock at their door and say "look what a nice
> work I've done for free, you'll get much love if you take care of it"?
> I'm not sure I'm going to succeed, but why shouldn't I try?

The linux-fslc is a good option as it is close to mainline and you can
try to convince the manufacturer it would be beneficial for them.
Otherwise you can hire someone to do the maintenance work.

>>> Crossing fingers I may not have to learn how uboot works right now.
>
>> It is a nice software and worth learning it ;-)
>
> I've a long list of things I'd like to learn earlier and currently with
> a higher return than uboot.
> First I'll have to re-read how to hack a kernel in yocto ;)

Good luck!