[meta-freescale] linux-congatec (fido) silent after Starting kernel ...

Peter Bergin peter.bergin at tritech.se
Wed May 20 07:43:23 PDT 2015

Hi Leon,

On 05/20/2015 04:28 PM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
Hi Peter, Nikolay.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Peter Bergin <peter.bergin at tritech.se<mailto:peter.bergin at tritech.se>> wrote:
Hi Leon,

Could you check the version of your u-boot on the target? Probably you have 2009.x or something that doesn't have support for DTB. In that case you must upgrade your u-boot to 2013.xx in order to boot kernel with device-tree.

Regards,
/Peter

Peter, indeed: U-Boot 2009.08-00671-g5e573f0 QMX6Rx07 pn016103 (Jan 15 2014 - 14:19:05)

Wow. It would have taken me ages to consider the boot loader didn't support device tree yet.

Thanks Nikolay for confirming a DTB is needed. In fact my boot log in my email did copy the DTB, but it's hidden at the top just before loading the kernel.

I have put the .sdcard image on a uSD card for the module SD slot (not the carrier board SD slot).
I think the Congatec always loads from SPI NOR first (where the old u-boot lives).

Peter, what did you do to boot the u-boot from uSD card?

Regards,

Leon.

Thanks,
--
Leon

correct that i.Mx6 boot from SPI NOR flash where u-boot is located.

On my board I am using u-boot-congatec 2013.04. I prepared a uSD card for the module slot with one partition including both kernel and rootfs. Make sure that your image have kernel and dtb files installed or you have to add them manually.

If I remember correct Congatec u-boot parameters assumes that you have one partition with kernel and rootfs. I don't know if the .sdcard image is prepared that way, it could be two partitions one for kernel and one for rootfs, like other reference targets like Nitrogen6. Either you have to change u-boot environment or prepare a sd card from the tar-file instead.

Another thing to verify in the u-boot console is that the u-boot parameters fdt_file and uImage is pointing to the correct location for those files.

Regards,
/Peter