[meta-freescale] [RFC] FSL Community BSP meeting - proposal

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 06:12:40 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

excuse me for asking, as I have just spent a few years no longer developing
for OpenEmbedded (my most active period was 2006-2011 when I started adding
Freescale PowerPC devices), only using it occasionally during the 2011-2015.

My main question: What is at stake?  Are there any upcoming changes?

my indication is that in a general sense, over the last decade:
- the number of users of OE and Yocto has increased rapidly
- but the number of developers has not increased. (Yes, new developers come
but many previous developers are busy with other stuff).
- the communication has become *much* more fragmented (IRC, FSL i.MX
community, wiki per vendor, per-layer mailing lists).

For users:

The users typically ask how to build "image" this-and-that with features
this-and-that, with a mix of BSP and other layers (Qt, browser, ...): I
think we should write down more quick how-to's based on stable releases
that are easily reproducable for a number of popular images.
Although we have a few images, we already have quite a big number of
variations through the number of variables (distro, features, board, kernel
support, blob compatilities). Subtle integration issues between  gstreamer,
qt, eglfs, wayland, etc.

A very good example of such how-to is:
http://wiki.wandboard.org/Building_Qt5_using_yocto_on_Wandboard

For users turning into developers: Lower the threshold to participate. Not
sure how.

Regards,

Leon.

Leon