[meta-freescale] which branch use 3.10.53 as default?

Isaac Nickaein nickaein.i at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 02:07:39 PDT 2015

Otavio Salvador <otavio at ...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Wally Yeh <wally.yeh at ...> wrote:
> > Hi, guys:
> >     recently I'm trying switching my test branch to use
> > linux-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga.
> >
> > my current branch is community's dizzy, after I repo sync, bitbake
> > linux-imx. still 3.10.17 is build.
> >
> > and I follow this post:
> > https://community.freescale.com/thread/338890
> >
> > I think maybe 3.10.53 is offer only in official yocto layer, so I
follow it
> > and below is my step:
> > repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b
> > imx-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga
> > repo sync
> > source ./setup-environment build
> > bitbake linux-imx
> >
> > and still 3.10.17 is build. so now I'm a little confused how to
build this
> > 3.10.53 linux kernel?
>
> Freescale when doing the release, the only kernel they update are the
> one regarding the evaluation boards covered on the release notes of
> the release.
>
> The 3.10.53-ga is under review for inclusion into the community and
> once this happens the 3rd party vendors will begin to update the
> kernels, which will be then merged in meta-fsl-arm-extra. When this
> happens you should be able to try this in master branch or when 1.8
> release is out.

Hi Otavio,

Yocto 1.8 has been out and as you know the default kernel is 3.14.

As I know, the latest kernel supported by Yocto Daisy and Dizzy are
3.10.17. Is there any plan to upgrade them to 3.10.53?

We can still get and compile the 3.10.53 separately, but the GPU/IPU/VPU
drivers provided by Yocto will be still 3.10.17. So I am seeking for a
Yocto release with 3.10.53 kernel.

It seems the Yocto Official releases by Freescale support 3.10.53 and
their latest branch is daisy_3.10.53-1.1.2_patch.
Do you recommend using that? Will that be an stable release (I know
there will no be much upgrades and the patches will be solely bug
fixes)?

And last but not the least, why the kernel in Yocto community releases
(Daisy/Dizzy) aren't upgraded to 3.10.53 ?

Bests,
Isaac