[meta-freescale] webrtc question

Dmitriy B. rzk333 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:13:00 PST 2015

Hi,

 From your description it seems that the webRTC will be the
>> 'communication channel' and the processing of the packages will be a
>> second step (audio / video / whatever). For VP8 it does work, as it is
>> supported in Chromium.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. webrtc & libjingle is a long going
project from Google that is done as a big C++ framework that has everything
you need: encoding, decoding libs, communication libs and debug stuff.
Chrome is just hooked up to use that framework when webrtc actions appear
in users javascript. webrtc does not depend on HTML5 video playback for
example, where we have with patches imx-vpu in action. At least that is how
it did work around a year ago.

> Yea, the first step is to make my iMX6 based device be compatible with the
> communication channels (and data formats, i.e. VP8/opus/etc..)
> used/supported
> by webrtc.  The difference will be that (in certain modes) there is no
> user on
> the device; it will be headless and autonomous, so I need to be able to
> feed
> media to and extract media from the underlying webrtc base platform on the
> iMX6.
> Does Chromium provide any non-browser type of hooks into webrtc down below?

No, chromium links with webrtc which links with libvpx for
encoding/decoding. Libvpx then decides what to use.

I investigated this some time ago while working on a similar device (webrtc
app linked with Qt5 front end on ARM linux-native device communicating
other similar devices, it was a robotics project). You need to integrate
imx vpu encoding/decoding support to webrtc/libvpx internals or use Android
where it should be passed through from standard video acceleration
frameworks.

I've added Carlos to cc, he might know more on this topic.

Best Regards,
Dmitry Beykun