[meta-freescale] webrtc question

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Jan 6 11:06:55 PST 2015

Otavio thanks for responding,
> Hello Ed,
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Ed Sutter <ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>> I apologize if this is the wrong list for this question, but I'm about to
>> embark on a iMX6 -based multimedia project that will be greatly helped by webRTC
>> functionality.
>>
>> Still getting up to speed on this, but it will not be Android, and it will
>> need to run outside the scope of a browser.  I believe this is referred to as
>> "native webRTC".
>>
>> Has anything been done with iMX6-linux regarding webRTC?
>> Does hardware acceleration support for VP8 encode/decode work on iMX6?
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
> It all depends on what you intend to do and the tooling you want to
> use. From your description it seems that the webRTC will be the
> 'communication channel' and the processing of the packages will be a
> second step (audio / video / whatever). For VP8 it does work, as it is
> supported in Chromium.

Yea, the first step is to make my iMX6 based device be compatible with the
communication channels (and data formats, i.e. VP8/opus/etc..)
used/supported
by webrtc.  The difference will be that (in certain modes) there is no
user on
the device; it will be headless and autonomous, so I need to be able to feed
media to and extract media from the underlying webrtc base platform on
the iMX6.
Does Chromium provide any non-browser type of hooks into webrtc down below?
Thanks,