[meta-freescale] fsl EULA and license flags

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Apr 20 09:24:25 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm evaluating a couple SBCs for use in a commercial product. There are
> several Freescale-based devices that interest me. The OE-based Freescale
> builds always have:
>
> ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"
> and
> LICENSE_FLAGS_WHITELIST = "commercial"
>
> I'm not a lawyer and I realize most of the people on this list aren't
> lawyers either, but does anyone have an armchair-lawyer or engineering-style
> explanation for the commercial ramifications of these options? All I need
> for now is enough information to help me decide if I should include
> Freescale devices in my short list or not.
>
> Can I build a usable core-image-minimal without those options?

I don't think the LICENSE_FLAGS_WHITELIST = "commercial" should be
used as they've been doing. It whitelist all commercial licenses
inside OE and this is too generic.

What you are asking is impossible. I think you'll need to review each
license and check it with your customer about feasibility of those.
The new EULA also change some aspects which are worth considering and
depending may allow or block a branch change.