[meta-freescale] How you program your sdcard / mmc

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Apr 14 06:33:53 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-14 06:55, andrea at perpic.it wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think this is an off topic post but it's a while I'm googling for this
> subject and I cannot find any useful information.
>
> This is my question:
> I would like to use an eMMC card on the board. So it is soldered on the
> board and directly connected to the IMX53. I think the same is for flash
> or other non volatile memories...
> How do you first program them with u-boot and linux/android for the
> first boot?
>
> Thank you to everyone who want to share the way they operate or some
> best practice link.

I like to boot an "installer" system from a ramdisk which then
has all the tools I need to format the eMMC, install the new OS,
etc.  Not much magic required, just building a separate installer
image that has all the right tools.  This can be started using
a network device or you could also run such a setup from a removable
SD card (this is how it's done on the BeagleBoneBlack for example)