[meta-freescale] The Yocto layer re-architect for FSL QorIQ SDK

zhenhua.luo at freescale.com zhenhua.luo at freescale.com
Mon Sep 22 20:16:15 PDT 2014

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] There are two level layers in meta-fsl-qoriq, meta-fsl-qoriq the top layer which manages the common recipes for QorIQ targets, the second level layer is specific to cpu type: arm and ppc. I am not sure sub-layer is the best description for it.

> Why do you think it´s a good idea? Why not having the sub-layer separated?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] This architecture manages recipes of QorIQ recipes in a unified top layer, users can find everything in one repository instead of fetch separate layers one by one, it also make the layers  hierarchical and clear: common bits, arm specific bits, ppc specific bits.  IMO, this structure can facilitate the maintenance and usage. All bits can be managed by one git repository instead of multiple.

"meta-intel" is an example for those layer structure.

> > |--- common                   # the common recipes for QorIQ ARM and PPC
> > targets
>
> What is common? Can you provide an example?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] u-boot, linux, rcw, cst, qemu recipes can be shared by QorIQ ARM and QorIQ PPC targets, there will be more in future.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua