[meta-freescale] The Yocto layer re-architect for FSL QorIQ SDK

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Mon Sep 22 06:43:58 PDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 08:51 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM, zhenhua.luo at freescale.com
> <mailto:zhenhua.luo at freescale.com> <zhenhua.luo at freescale.com
> <mailto:zhenhua.luo at freescale.com>> wrote:
>

>     __
>
>     Following is the structure of the meta-fsl-qoriq layer. __ __
>
>     meta-fsl-qoriq____
>
>     |--- common                   # the common recipes for QorIQ ARM and

[snip]

>     __ __
>
>     Can you please review? Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
>

> I think it is too soon to talk about any reorganization of the layers. I
> am still awaiting for the layers cleanup on the meta-fsl-ppc as several
> recipes there belong to other layers (meta-networking, meta-oe and so on).
>
> We also don't have the list of common recipes, so at this moment this is
> still a guess about the common recipes.
>
> LS1 is merged in fsl-arm so you can include it into FSL SDK in your git
> submodules/supergit/repo file.
>
> I see no benefit merging it, just cons ...

The benefit I see is that it logically groups all QorIQ parts together,
which I believe is important.

When Freescale needs to provide support for LS2A (next generation) DPAA,
the current organization will become a mess.  A lot (if not most) of the
QorIQ BSP layer is for DPAA / networking, and I don't think it will make
sense to have these duplicated in both meta-fsl-ppc and meta-fsl-arm, or
have DPAA code that will be built for the ARM in meta-fsl-ppc (or vice
versa).

I would hope that having this code organized in logical layers under the
scope of QorIQ would make it more manageable in migrating from something
like a TXXX device to an LS2A device.

However, I certainly understand you not wanting to change everything
before there is stability in what we currently have.

I'm building with meta-fsl-ppc on a daily basis, but I'm not using
anything else in the community tree (e.g., demos, meta-fsl-arm, repo,
etc.) because my perception is it isn't ready for me as a QorIQ developer.

Zhenhua, when are you looking to make these changes?  Will this be a
master-next sort of thing after the end of the year, or do you want to
do all this now?