[meta-freescale] where is the qtwebkit*bb recipe that is being appended to?

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu Oct 16 09:05:18 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Robert P. J. Day
<rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>> >   never mind, it seems the underlying qt5 recipes are in the meta-qt5
>> > layer, but that layer is not listed in layer.conf as a dependency of
>> > meta-fsl-arm. should the qt5 bbappend files really be part of
>> > meta-fsl-arm? it seems like they would more properly belong in
>> > meta-fsl-arm-extra.
>>
>> They should as these patches are BSP support patches. The bbappend
>> files are "enabled" when user adds the meta-qt5 in the layer
>> collection, dynamically.
>
>   i think we're agreeing here -- my point is that there is no value to
> the meta-fsl-arm layer containing .bbappend files for which there is
> no *requirement* that there be the underlying .bb files that
> correspond to them. so either the meta-fsl-arm layer should add a
> LAYERDEPENDS entry for meta-qt5, or the qt5 stuff should be moved out
> of meta-fsl-arm.

No; you are wrong here.

The meta-fsl-arm is intended to be the core BSP for every i.MX and ARM
based SoCs from Freescale. This includes in adding software specific
support when this is the case (as for example Qt5).

The way we designed /allows/ the use of Qt5 and the platform support
is dynamically included. What makes no sense is to include Qt5
dependency when just some people are going to use it.

So we give the good of both worlds. We support Qt5, Chromium, EFL, ...
without forcing all these layers to be enabled for every user or
unnecessary fragmentation.