[meta-freescale] Freescale Linux 3.10.31-1.1.0_alpha release is online

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu May 29 18:20:02 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Xh Xiao <xxiao8 at fosiao.com> wrote:
> It's a pain to chase the minor version changes(i.e. from 3.10.17 to
> 3.10.31), why not just focus on 3.10.17 and let the customer to apply any
> .17~.31 difference themselves? the same way as 3.0.35 did.
>
> It's also a logistic headache for product development.

The GIT tag is exactly for that. It is your option to stay in one
revision and never update.

The Linux kernel development, of stable releases, is very rigid about
the fixes that are merged. The 3.10 version is even a LTSI kernel
which includes Long Term support for bugfixes and it is very advisable
products to /update/ their kernels as bugfixes may even involve
security fixes which is something few embedded product pay attention
for and is critical in a time every product is connected to the
Internet (IoT).

The process of constant update, with stable releases, reduces
drastically the amount of debugging, fixing and development of
products.

You can use the Daisy (or an older) branch which will stick to GA
release and never update your product ... it is your call but don't
expect support for old versions, forever. It is costly, so impossible
to support same version without someone paying for it. You can see
what this behavior leaded Freescale in past with the LTIB tool (which
only works in Ubuntu 10.04, a dead one).

3.10.31-1.1.0 alpha release is NOT production ready and shouldn't be
used for products. The alpha and beta releases are for integrators and
technology vendors to start their work (test, report regressions,
integration in their specific platforms and like).
When 3.10.xx-1.1.0 GA goes out all this background work is complete
and you can use a solid BSP release, with fewer known issues.

All this development work is core for the upcoming technologies (as
newer Wayland, Qt and like) and build systems improvements to enhance
every product cycle and developers workflow. This is critical for us
to keep our pace in this innovation time.

So please don't push for the wrong direction.