[meta-freescale] Yocto local source/build

Zhen Cong Tee ZhenCong.Tee at VERIFONE.com
Fri Jun 20 01:58:38 PDT 2014

Greetings.
I am new to Yocto, and has been trying hard to understand the underlying concept of the Yocto's bitbaking process and repository structure.

As far as my understanding, for the first time we do a repo sync, then bitbake, it will download the recipes from the repo and put it in <local folder>/sources.
Then, when baking in process, the actual source code of the components (u-boot, kernel, OS etc.) will be downloaded and be placed into <local folder/build/tmp/work/<bsp>/....
Hopefully my understanding so far is still correct.

Ok now the part that confused me come.
I tried to change some simple things (such as adding a puts(hello) at the starts) in the u-boot source code inside the <local folder>/build/tmp/work/<bsp/... folder, and then I did a bitbake -c compile u-boot-imx, and then bitbake u-boot-imx.
After that, I dd the newly baked u-boot image into my SD card and run it on the i.MX6Q platform. My changes applied! The "hello" is printed out in console when the u-boots runs.

Please help. I think this is important in order for me to get through and explore deeper into Yocto.

Thank you.

Regards,
ZC

This electronic message, including attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or company named above or to which it is addressed. The information contained in this message shall be considered confidential and proprietary, and may include confidential work product. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email immediately.