[meta-freescale] Yocto local source/build

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Jun 24 14:11:30 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Zhen Cong Tee
<ZhenCong.Tee at verifone.com> wrote:
> I tried to change some simple things (such as adding a puts(hello) at the
> starts) in the u-boot source code inside the <local
> folder>/build/tmp/work/<bsp/… folder, and then I did a bitbake –c compile
> u-boot-imx, and then bitbake u-boot-imx.
>
> After that, I dd the newly baked u-boot image into my SD card and run it on
> the i.MX6Q platform. My changes applied! The “hello” is printed out in
> console when the u-boots runs.
>
> Isn’t it the <local folder>/build/tmp/work/<bsp> folder supposed to be the
> source code downloaded from the repo? The recipes in the <local
> folder>/sources folder points the SRC_URI to a git location. Why does the
> bitbake not fetching the source code from the git directory, instead it uses
> the local copy that I make changes in the <local folder>/build/tmp/work/…
> directory?

No, it is not.

The tmp[1] is temporary and you shouldn't expect it to be persistent.
You now need to make a patch with those changes and put it in the
recipe (preferable in a bbappend[2] file in your layer) to apply it.

1. http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-TMPDIR
2. http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-bbappend-files

Check the docs and use a good time to read them, it will be worth it.